Friday 15 February 2008

I love Valentine's day... honest!

Valentine’s Day makes me sick, I just wish I’d kept that to myself and not told the girlfriend.

If you were out on Thursday night, I’m sure you all saw it – supposedly lovesick couples, fawning over each other everywhere you turned.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am not averse to public displays of affection and have been prone to wretch-inducing behaviour myself.

What really gets my back up though is that you never normally see widespread smooching and hand holding apart from on Valentine’s Day.


I cannot believe that the stars and the moon coincidentally line up each year on February 14, supernaturally creating a desperate need for people to declare their undying love to the nearest person who will listen.

Social convention and the wide availability of oversized teddy bears have the remarkable ability to squeeze love from cold-hearted human stones.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am not averse to public displays of affection and have been prone to wretch-inducing behaviour myself.

What really gets my back up though is that you never normally see widespread smooching and hand holding apart from on Valentine’s Day.


Suddenly everyone is gazing into each other’s eyes like opticians on ecstasy.

If you feel similarly to me I only pray that you were wise enough to bottle it all up inside and buy the goddamn roses.

Apparently, girls don’t get such a kick out of Valentine’s Day when their boyfriend keeps telling them what a ridiculous concept it is in the weeks leading up to February 14.


This blog can also be viewed at http://thewordfromwestminster.blogspot.com/

No comments: