Sunday 4 November 2007

Super Furry Weekend

I hate blogs where people who aren't very interesting write about their boring lives.

Oh well, here goes:

My entertainment this weekend was pretty much curated by the Welsh band, Super Furry Animals.

I have had the pleasure of watching this band for quite some time now and I reckon I've probably notched up about 15 SFA gigs.

Sad isn't it.

In the past, these concerts have featured yeti's, power rangers, wrestlers and occasionally even musicians.



Friday night's gig at the Roundhouse in Camden was slightly more low-key, although the crowd were treated (subjected?) to an interlude featuring comedy-rappers, Goldie Lookin' Chain.

After the gig, I had a mildly unfortunate incident as a result of having booze clouded judgement.

TV and Radio's Richard Bacon was wandering the streets of Camden and having noticed him, I summoned all my tact and grace before pointing out, "you're that guy that used to be on TV"

I then made reference to what the tabloids would call, "his drugs shame".

Oops.

On Saturday, the party continued as the Super Furry Animals hosted a warehouse party in Elephant and Castle.

There were DJ sets from some members of the band, including a particularly eclectic choice of records by lead singer, Gruff.

I think it's become a bit of a cliche to talk about eclecticism in music.

It's a lazy way of saying, "I'm not really sure what it was but I think it was good".

Ok, I'll have a bash at describing it:

- There was African tribal music - a staple surely, of any electic set.

- There was foot stomping folk of the variety that makes you dance like a buck-toothed hillbilly on a gallon of premium cider.

- There was a gentle, sing-a-long cover of a Super Furry Animals song which happens to be in Welsh (all Super Furry Animals fans are fluent in Welsh).


Techno DJ and producer, Andy Weatherall was also there to shake the cobwebs from our dancing shoes.

Despite a surplus of Super Furry hi-jinx, like any good junkie, I'm already thinking about my next hit.

I plan to spend my new year at this.

4 comments:

Fran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fran said...

Ah were they not be-costumed? I like the image of you dancing like a buck-toothed hillybilly around a gang of yetis.

And do you speak Welsh?

Sarah Morgan said...

I don't speak Welsh and I consider myself a fan.

Ok I've only seen them live the once, but I listen to the CDs, a lot.

James Fordham said...

Oh yeah wait, I was lying.